Viewing License Use
You can view the use and capacity of the license keys that are assigned to assets for a period that you select. You can use the Reporting tab of the Licensing page in the vSphere Client to perform the following tasks:
· View statistics for the license use and capacity of products filtered by a vCenter Server system and time period.
· Export license use reports in CSV format for further analysis and processing.
· Set a threshold for the license use of products with use-based licensing models, such as per-virtual machine and vRAM. License use thresholds allow you to receive notifications if a certain use is exceeded.
The License Usage History service on vCenter Server takes snapshots of the license use every hour. The license use snapshots are stored in the vCenter Server database. A license use snapshot contains data about the current license assignment and use for assets. The license use reports that you can export in CSV format contain the raw data from the license use snapshots that are collected in the period that you select.
NOTE The license reporting function is part of the vSphere Web Client and is integrated as a plug-in to the vSphere Client. To have the license reporting in the vSphere Client, you must install the vSphere Web Client and register the vCenter Server system with the vSphere Web Client.
You can view the license use for products from the Licensing page in the vSphere Client. You can filter the license use data by vCenter Server system and time period.
· Verify that you have the Global.Licenses privilege.
· Ensure that the vSphere Client is connected to the vCenter Server system.
· Ensure that you have the vSphere Web Client installed and the vCenter Server system is registered with it.
1. In the vSphere Client, select Home > Administration > Licensing.
2. Select the Reporting tab.
3. (Optional) If the vCenter Server instance that you are connected to is part of a Linked Mode group, leave the default All vCenter Server instances value in the vCenter Server drop-down menu. You should leave the default All vCenter Server instances value to view the license use for the entire group.
Note: If you view the license use for a single vCenter Server instance and not the entire group, you do not receive information about the total use of license keys assigned to more than one asset in the group.
4. From the Time period drop-down menu, select a preconfigured or a custom time period for which you want to view the license use for products.
a. (Optional) If you select a custom time period, specify the start and end dates, and click Recalculate. The Products Chart shows the license use for each product as a percentage of the license capacity for the product over the period that you select. If a threshold exists for the license use of a product, the percentage of the threshold use appears in the chart.
5. Certain products in the Products Chart might have one or two asterisk (*) symbols next to their names. The asterisks have a special meaning.